[Report] Advisory Board Meeting for the Year 2023 was taking place.
On Friday, December 22, 2023, JaCER held its 2023 Advisory Board meeting online. The Advisory Board was established to receive recommendations and advice from domestic and foreign top experts on the overall activities of JaCER and the operation of the Dialogue and Remedy Platform, mainly from the perspective of consistency with international norms. Although this was the first meeting of the Advisory Board, there was a very active exchange of opinions.
The Advisory Board members who participated in the meeting are as follows:
- Mr. Akira Kawamura (Anderson Mori & Tomotsune, Of Counsel)
- Mr. Ken Shibusawa (Chief Executive Officer, Shibusawa & Company, Inc.)
- Prof. Bidin Aisha (Representative of Malaysia to the ASEAN Intergovernmental Commission on Human Rights)
- Mr. Pesce Dante (Director, Centro Vincular, Universidad Católica de Valparaíso-Chile, and former member of the UN Working Group on Business and Human Rights)
- Prof. Ramasastri Anita (Henry M. Jackson Professor of Law, University of Washington School of Law, former member of the UN Working Group on Business and Human Rights)
At the beginning of the meeting, Mr. Daisuke Takahashi (Executive Director) explained the purpose of the meeting, and Mr. Hidemi Tomita (Executive Director) gave a briefing on the management and activities of JaCER. This was followed by questions, comments, and suggestions from Board members.
Board members made a variety of specific comments and suggestions, including measures to prevent human rights violations by corporations, strengthening cooperation with related organizations, the need to expand the Code of Conduct and sanction violations, capacity building efforts, and the significance of including overseas stakeholders on the panel.
The Organization will consider and implement the suggestions received with the aim of establishing a more reliable and effective grievance platform.